Writers Victoria supports and connects all types of writers at all stages of their writing careers. Find out more about our courses and workshops, magazine, mentorships or manuscript assessments, how we can provide inspiration, information or advice, or how to become part of a vibrant literary community as a member of Writers Victoria.
Writers Victoria welcomes pitches and submissions to our in-house print magazine ‘The Victorian Writer’.
We strongly advise all who submit that they read the most recent issues of ‘The Victorian Writer’ to acquaint themselves with material the magazine has previously published, and check out our upcoming themes.
- Feb–March: Writing for kids/YA – deadline 30 Dec
- April–May: Writing place – deadline 27 Feb
- Jun–Jul: Beginnings – deadline 27 Apr
- Aug–Sep: Community – deadline 27 Jun
We accept non-fiction, articles and extracts up to 2000 words.
Submissions of fiction and memoir are open to Writers Victoria members only.
All submissions should include your name, contact information, as well as the title of your piece.
Member submissions – $75–$125
Commissions – $150–$250
(Rates can vary depending on each issue's budget.)
Applications for Round 6 of the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund open Wednesday 11 March 2020, 9am (AEDT).
Applicants can apply for grants between $2,000 and $10,000.
Named in honour of poet, novelist and short story writer Neilma Gantner (1922-2015), the travel fund recognises the unique value of travel in the development of new writing and literary careers. The travel fund is open to emerging, midcareer and established Australian writers and literary sector workers. This includes writers, editors, agents, publishers, librarians, booksellers, employees and associates of literary organisations and journals, and other literary professionals currently living in Australia.
The judges for Round 6 are writer Krissy Kneen, editor Renée Otmar, and bookseller Jaclyn Crupi (Hill of Content). They will be looking for applications that demonstrate how strategic travel opportunities will benefit applicants' own writing practice, career development and/or the broader Australian literary sector.
Travel activity for Round 6 must take place between 1 June 2020 and 31 May 2021.
For more information on the fund, please visit writersvictoria.org.au
Applications close Wednesday 15 April, midday (AEDT).
Terms & Conditions:
- Applications must be made online. If the online application form isn’t accessible to you, let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents (currently living in Australia).
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
- Applicants must be emerging, midcareer or established Australian writers and literary sector workers (not beginners) with a demonstrated publication and/or career history.
- Applicants can only make one submission per round.
- Where relevant, activities must comply with the Australia Council Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Writing.
- Joint applications for collaborative travel projects will be accepted. Collaborative projects are subject to the same $10,000 maximum grant request as individual projects.
- Late applications will not be accepted. Please note the deadline time of 12pm AEDT (i.e. midday) on Wednesday 15 April - you will not be able to submit an application after this time. Due to high internet traffic, the online form might be slow to load around the cutoff time; Writers Victoria is not responsible for connection issues, and we recommend submitting your application well in advance of the 12pm cutoff time to avoid potential delays.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Applicants from former rounds (both successful and unsuccessful) may reapply in this round. However, preference will be given to writers who haven’t previously received a Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund grant.
- Recipients agree to abide by the terms of the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund agreement.
- Travel activity must be undertaken within one year following the date of the agreement. For Round 6, this means travel must take place between 1 June 2020 and 31 May 2021. Applications for projects outside this timeframe will be deemed ineligible and not considered.
- Recipients will be fully responsible for the coordination and delivery of their travel activity (including appropriate insurances, etc).
- Recipients will be required to complete an acquittal within two months of the end of the travel activity.
- Recipients will be required to write a 500-word article about the travel activity for publication by Writers Victoria and/or The Myer Foundation.
- Recipients will be required to acknowledge the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund, The Myer Foundation, and Writers Victoria in any promotion or publication resulting from the work supported during the activity.
- Recipients will be required to reimburse the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund should any of the conditions be breached, or the project not undertaken as outlined (without prior written agreement).
- Writers Victoria staff or Committee of Management members are not eligible to apply.
- Uploaded documents must be in either PDF or Word Doc formats. If providing audio support material, you must upload it in .mp3 format. If providing video support material, you must upload it in .mp4 or .avi format.
- Supporting documentation must be meet the size limits: a maximum of one A4 page for each uploaded file, or a maximum of three minutes for an audio or video file. Judges will not read/watch support material longer than the specified length.