Writers Victoria supports and connects all types of writers at all stages of their writing careers. Find out more about our courses and workshops, magazine, mentorships or manuscript assessments, how we can provide inspiration, information or advice, or how to become part of a vibrant literary community as a member of Writers Victoria.
Applicant Terms and Conditions
- Applications must be made online. If the online application form isn’t accessible to you, let us know: (03) 9917 8461 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or residents (currently living in Australia).
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
- Applicants must be emerging, midcareer or established Australian writers and literary sector workers (not beginners) with a demonstrated publication and/or career history.
- Applicants can only make one submission per round.
- Where relevant, activities must comply with the Australia Council's First Nations Cultural and Intellectual Property in the Arts.
- Joint applications for collaborative travel projects will be accepted. Collaborative projects are subject to the same $10,000 maximum grant request as individual projects.
- Late applications will not be accepted. Please note the deadline time of 11:59pm AEST on Sunday 17 March 2024 – you will not be able to apply after this time. Due to high internet traffic, the online form might be slow to load around the cut-off time; Writers Victoria is not responsible for connection issues, and we recommend submitting your application well in advance of the 11:59pm cut-off time to avoid potential delays that may cause you to miss the deadline.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Applicants from former rounds (both successful and unsuccessful) may reapply in this round. However, preference will be given to writers who haven’t previously received a Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund grant.
- Recipients agree to abide by the terms of the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund agreement.
- All recipients agree to comply with public health restrictions before, during, and following travel.
- Travel activity must be undertaken within one year following the date of the agreement. For Round 11, this means travel must take place between 1 July 2024 - 1 July 2025 (dates inclusive). If unexpected restrictions impact a recipient’s travel, changes to this timeline may be negotiated with Writers Victoria staff.
- Recipients will be fully responsible for coordination and delivery of travel activity (including appropriate insurances, etc).
- Recipients will be required to complete an acquittal within two months of the end of the travel activity.
- Recipients will be required to write a 500-word article about the travel activity for potential publication by Writers Victoria and/or The Myer Foundation.
- Recipients will be required to acknowledge the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund, The Myer Foundation, and Writers Victoria in any promotion or publication resulting from the work supported during the activity.
- Recipients will be required to reimburse the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund should any of the conditions be breached, or the project not undertaken as outlined (without prior written agreement).
- Writers Victoria staff or Committee of Management members are not eligible to apply.
- Uploaded documents must be in either PDF or Word Doc formats. If providing audio support material, you must upload it in .mp3 format. If providing video support material, you must upload it in .mp4 or .avi format.
- Supporting documentation must be meet the size limits: a maximum of one A4 page for each uploaded file, or a maximum of three minutes for an audio or video file.
Writers Victoria welcomes pitches and submissions to our in-house print magazine ‘The Victorian Writer’.
We strongly advise all who submit that they read the most recent issues of ‘The Victorian Writer’ to acquaint themselves with material the magazine has previously published, and check out our upcoming themes.
Submissions are now open for The Victorian Writer for 2024. Please see below for the 2024 themes and submission periods.
Autumn edition (March - May 2024)
Submission deadline: CLOSED
Winter edition (June - August)
Submission deadline: Monday 4 March 2024.
Spring edition (September - November)
Submission deadline: Friday 31 May 2024.
Summer edition (December 2024 - February 2025)
Submission deadline: Friday 6 September 2024.
We publish poems ($70), and articles/writing of 600 words ($100) and 1200 words ($200) in the print edition with particular interest in the craft of writing and the writing life.
If you would like to be considered for print publication, please submit either:
- Your article, or a 100-word pitch with your article idea;
- Your poem/s;
- Your short fiction or non-fiction.
Also include a short author bio (and an example of your work if you haven’t been published with us before) by the issue’s deadline date.
All submissions are to be made via Submittable.
We particularly encourage member contributions and member pitches will be considered for both print and online publication. Extracts from member publications including fiction and memoir can also be submitted.
If you are successful in your pitch, our commissioning editor will be in touch regarding the article, licence agreements and final copy deadlines.
Please note, online article fees will be negotiated with the Writers Victoria team and there are no fees payable for book extracts or promotional material.
While we aim to publish as much as we can and support writers, we receive many more submissions than we can place, and can’t provide feedback on all pitches. But don’t be deterred! Keep submitting for following editions.