Writers Victoria supports and connects all types of writers at all stages of their writing careers. Find out more about our courses and workshops, magazine, mentorships or manuscript assessments, how we can provide inspiration, information or advice, or how to become part of a vibrant literary community as a member of Writers Victoria.
Writers Victoria welcomes pitches and submissions to our in-house print magazine ‘The Victorian Writer’.
We strongly advise all who submit that they read the most recent issues of ‘The Victorian Writer’ to acquaint themselves with material the magazine has previously published, and check out our upcoming themes.
- December 2021/January/February 2022 (Summer Edition): Transformation. Submissions close 5pm, Friday 3 September 2021.
We publish poems ($70), and articles of 600 words ($100) and 1200 words ($200) in the print edition with particular interest in the craft of writing and the writing life.
If you would like to be considered for print publication, please submit a 100-word pitch with your article idea or poem, a short author bio (and an example of your work if you haven’t been published with us before) by the issue’s deadline date. All submissions are to be made via Submittable.
We particularly encourage member contributions and member pitches will be considered for both print and online publication. Extracts from member publications including fiction and memoir can also be submitted.
If you are successful in your pitch, our commissioning editor will be in touch regarding the article, licence agreements and final copy deadlines.
Please note, online article fees will be negotiated with the Writers Victoria team and there are no fees payable for book extracts or promotional material.
While we aim to publish as much as we can and support writers, we receive many more submissions than we can place, and can’t provide feedback on all pitches. But don’t be deterred! Keep submitting for following editions.
Open date: 9am (AEDT), Friday 1 October 2021.
Close date: 5pm (AEDT), Tuesday 16 November 2021.
Applications are now open for the 2022 Hazel Rowley Literary Fellowship.
Now in its eleventh year, the Fellowship commemorates the life, ideas and writing of Hazel Rowley (1951–2011) and awards $20,000 to an emerging or established Australian writer to support research and development of a new biographical work.
The Fellowship is open to Australian writers of biography but can also extend to include a writer working on an aspect of cultural or social history. It may be used to fund research or travel, to develop a new proposal, or to progress a manuscript for submission to potential publishers.
Judges will be looking for applicants who demonstrate excellence in the quality of their work, courage in their choice of project, and a passionate engagement with the world of ideas and the way that people live their lives. The subject of the biography needs to be someone who made a demonstrable contribution to society.
Applications close at 5pm (AEDT) on Tuesday 16 November 2021.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age.
- Applicants must write in English.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens (living anywhere) or permanent residents of Australia.
- The Fellowship will not cover tuition fees, professional editing, research assistant salaries, or publishing subsidies.
- Projects must be works of non-fiction biography or memoir (rather than biographical fiction).
- Where relevant, the work must comply with the Australia Council Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Writing.
- Those shortlisted will be notified in January 2022 and the recipient will be notified in February before the public announcement in March 2022.
- The successful applicant will enter into an agreement to be negotiated with Writers Victoria and the Hazel Rowley Literary Fund Advisory Committee. The agreement will cover the project timeline, payment schedule and reporting requirements.
- The Fellowship must be commenced and expended within 12 months of receipt of funds. [Note: For the 2022 Fellowship this period has been extended to 18 months in recognition of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on domestic and international travel and the opportunities for research.]
- All Fellowship recipients travelling in 2022-23 must agree to comply with public health restrictions before, during and following travel.
- The Fellowship recipient will be required to complete an artistic and financial report (acquittal) halfway through and at the completion of the project.
- The Fellowship will be acknowledged in any publication resulting from the work supported during the Fellowship.
- The Fellowship recipient will be asked to provide three copies of any subsequently published biography or work to the Hazel Rowley Literary Fund Advisory Committee.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
For more information, email Writers Victoria at email@example.com