Writers Victoria supports and connects all types of writers at all stages of their writing careers. Find out more about our courses and workshops, magazine, mentorships or manuscript assessments, how we can provide inspiration, information or advice, or how to become part of a vibrant literary community as a member of Writers Victoria.
Writers Victoria welcomes pitches and submissions to our in-house print magazine ‘The Victorian Writer’.
We strongly advise all who submit that they read the most recent issues of ‘The Victorian Writer’ to acquaint themselves with material the magazine has previously published, and check out our upcoming themes.
- Dec-Jan: Writing each other (Own Voices movement, cultural appropriation, should we write outside our experiences?) – deadline 27 Oct
- Feb–March: Writing for kids/YA – deadline 30 Dec
- April–May: Writing place – deadline 27 Feb
We accept non-fiction, articles and extracts up to 2000 words.
Submissions of fiction and memoir are open to Writers Victoria members only.
All submissions should include your name, contact information, as well as the title of your piece.
Member submissions – $75–$125
Commissions – $150–$250
(Rates can vary depending on each issue's budget.)
Open date: 9am, Monday 1 October 2018.
Close date: 5pm, Friday 16 November 2018.
Applications are now open for the 2019 Hazel Rowley Literary Fellowship.
Now in its eighth year, the Fellowship commemorates the life, ideas and writing of Hazel Rowley (1951–2011) and awards $15,000 to an emerging or established Australian writer to support research and development of a new biographical work.
The Fellowship is open to Australian writers of biography but can also extend to include a writer working on an aspect of cultural or social history. It may be used to fund research or travel, to develop a new proposal, or to progress a manuscript for submission to potential publishers.
Judges will be looking for applicants who demonstrate excellence in the quality of their work, courage in their choice of project, and a passionate engagement with the world of ideas and the way that people live their lives. The subject of the biography needs to be someone who made a demonstrable contribution to society.
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 16 November 2018.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age.
- Applicants must write in English.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens (living anywhere) or permanent residents of Australia.
- Joint applications for collaborative projects by more than one writer are not eligible.
- The Fellowship will not cover tuition fees, research assistant salary or publishing subsidy.
- Where relevant, the work must comply with the Australia Council Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Writing.
- Those shortlisted will be notified in January 2019 and the recipient will be notified in February before the public announcement in March 2019.
- The successful applicant will enter into an agreement to be negotiated with Writers Victoria and the Hazel Rowley Literary Fund Advisory Committee. The agreement will cover the project timeline, payment schedule and reporting requirements.
- The Fellowship must be commenced and expended within 12 months of receipt of funds.
- The Fellowship recipient will be required to complete an artistic and financial report (acquittal) halfway through and at the completion of the project.
- The Fellowship will be acknowledged in any publication resulting from the work supported during the Fellowship.
- The Fellowship recipient will be asked to provide two copies of any subsequently published biography or work to the Hazel Rowley Literary Fund Advisory Committee.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
For more information, email Writers Victoria at firstname.lastname@example.org