Writers Victoria supports and connects all types of writers at all stages of their writing careers. Find out more about our courses and workshops, magazine, mentorships or manuscript assessments, how we can provide inspiration, information or advice, or how to become part of a vibrant literary community as a member of Writers Victoria.
Writers Victoria welcomes pitches and submissions to our in-house print magazine ‘The Victorian Writer’.
We strongly advise all who submit that they read the most recent issues of ‘The Victorian Writer’ to acquaint themselves with material the magazine has previously published, and check out our upcoming themes.
- Dec-Jan: Writing each other (Own Voices movement, cultural appropriation, should we write outside our experiences?) – deadline 27 Oct
- Feb–March: Writing for kids/YA – deadline 30 Dec
- April–May: Writing place – deadline 27 Feb
We accept non-fiction, articles and extracts up to 2000 words.
Submissions of fiction and memoir are open to Writers Victoria members only.
All submissions should include your name, contact information, as well as the title of your piece.
Member submissions – $75–$125
Commissions – $150–$250
(Rates can vary depending on each issue's budget.)
Applications for Round 4 of the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund open 1 March 2019, 10am (AEDT).
Named in honour of poet, novelist and short story writer Neilma Gantner (1922-2015), the travel fund recognises the unique value of travel in the development of new writing and literary careers. The travel fund is open to emerging, midcareer and established Australian writers and literary sector workers. This includes writers, editors, agents, publishers, librarians, booksellers, employees and associates of literary organisations and journals, and other literary professionals currently living in Australia.
Applicants can apply for grants between $2,000 and $10,000.
Judges will be looking for applications that demonstrate how strategic travel opportunities will benefit applicants' own writing practice, career development and/or the broader Australian literary sector.
For more information on the fund, please visit writersvictoria.org.au
Applications close 29 March 2019, 4pm (AEDT).
Terms & Conditions:
- Applications must be made online. If the online application form isn’t accessible to you, let us know: email@example.com
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents (currently living in Australia).
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
- Applicants must be emerging, midcareer or established Australian writers and literary sector workers (not beginners) with a demonstrated publication and/or career history.
- Applicants can only make one submission per round.
- Where relevant, activities must comply with the Australia Council Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Writing.
- Joint applications for collaborative travel projects will be accepted. Collaborative projects are subject to the same $10,000 maximum grant request as individual projects.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Preference will be given to writers who haven’t previously received a Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund grant.
- Recipients agree to abide by the terms of Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund agreement.
- Travel activity must be undertaken within one year following the date of the agreement.
- Recipients will be fully responsible for coordination and delivery of travel activity (including appropriate insurances, etc).
- Recipients will be required to complete an acquittal within two months of the end of the travel activity.
- Recipients will be required to write a 500-word article about the travel activity for publication by Writers Victoria and/or The Myer Foundation.
- Recipients will be required to acknowledge the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund, The Myer Foundation, and Writers Victoria in any promotion or publication resulting from the work supported during the activity.
- Recipients will be required to reimburse the Neilma Sidney Literary Travel Fund should any of the conditions be breached, or the project not undertaken as outlined (without prior written agreement).
- Writers Victoria staff or Committee of Management members are not eligible to apply.
- Uploaded documents must be in either PDF or Word Doc formats.